Friday, November 13, 2009

Proud to be doing something right

On the way to church on Sunday my 5th grade daughter brought up the subject of dating. This wasn't the first time, mind you. Something is wrong with our society that 5th graders, even fourth graders are "asking each other out." I don't know what this means exactly. Do the boys come up and say "hey baby, do you want my mom to take us to a movie?" It is kind of disturbing to me. Nonetheless, boys and girls looking for affection or popularity or whatever it might be are looking to "dating relationships."

We have had conversations MANY times about how we want our daughter to wait MUCH later in life before she begins to date. Mike says he hopes she doesn't develop until she is twenty one...or the wedding day or something. I have held to not wanting her to date in high school unless it is in a group format. We have talked about why we feel this way- the pressures, the fact that there are so many more important things for her to focus on when she is young, the fact that kids/teens just aren't ready to date, etc, etc, etc. We aren't the parents that say "you aren't going to date, end of story."

Anyways, back to Sunday...so she tells us that a boy asked her out at school. Nervously I asked what she said. She replied, "I told him no." After I internally took a deep breathe and sighed, she continued, "he asked if it was because my parents won't allow it. I said, yes, kinda, but no. My parents and I have talked about it and I have really thought about it and decided for myself that I don't want that for myself." (Teary pregnant woman...)

It's in those moments, you know you are doing something right...

1 comment:

  1. Amy, that is great!! Such an encouraging story. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete